Looking through my observations from Cambridge, I re-created the sketches of the nude figures and sculptures by using a brush pen. First I highlighted the most predominant lines, then I used the strong contrast of black on white to show only the darkest shadows.
I then used my sketches from the zoo as a starting point for developing colour and illustration in the style of Philipp Zurmohle. I liked his use of bright block colour used to bring his illustrations to life.
With the tortoise on the right, I did another sketch in biro before adding watercolour. I used the colours orange and blue, purple and yellow, because they are complementaries, further increasing the contrast and boldness of the image.
The image on the left was produced similarly to the one above. On a page I used biro to sketch out a number of the faces I captured of the chimpanzees, before adding watercolour. Clustered together they create one image instead of many. Once scanned in I then altered the hue of the scan numerous times to produce different versions of the same picture. Together they all look quite bold and eye-catching.
The first image of the chimpanzees (in colours pink and green) is the original.

No comments:
Post a Comment